A third of office workers would prefer to never go back to the office, while 55 percent want to work remotely at least three days a week, a survey from PwC reveals. A flexible, hybrid or permanently remote working experience is here to stay. To meet the needs of a diverse employee base, companies will need to shift all well-being, team-building and corporate events towards virtual programs.
But as employees experience virtual fatigue and burnout, how do you create programs that people will actually engage in? When face-to-face interaction is not possible, how do you build connection? Here are 7 ways to improve wellness and corporate culture anytime, anywhere.
1. Consistently refresh. Very few people want to take the same workout class every week or attend the same happy hour every Friday. To ensure success, you have to continually innovate and bring in fresh programming. In place of a yoga class try Tai Chi. Instead of a happy hour, experiment with an online escape room, terrarium building, or a pizza-making class.
2. Provide meaningful recognition. Sharing sincere appreciation is one of the most powerful ways to connect. First, establish a foundation of open communication and inclusion, and create a safe space for your team to feel seen and heard at all times. Reach out one-on-one to give acknowledgement and praise, and celebrate their accomplishments with the group. Consider writing a personal note to each team member to say thank you–it can be incredibly impactful.
3. Give the gift of relaxation. Host a virtual relaxation event filled with a variety of activities for employees to enjoy. These can include sound baths, meditation sessions, virtual spa and beauty consultations. To make it even more special, send a curated box of spa products or mini relaxation kits.
4. Give the gift of time. Surprise your team with an afternoon off, accompanied by a gift card to do something nice for themselves or simply grab lunch. Time is often the ultimate luxury, so building this into people’s schedules will go a long way. To make it as easy as possible for everyone, share digital gift cards for experiences or products that can be redeemed wherever your team may be.
5. Host a virtual party. Everyone loves to be inspired and entertained. But with Zoom fatigue, how do you ensure your event brings real value and joy? Organize a fun dueling pianos event, interactive game series, comedy or magic show, offer access to a virtual concert, or facilitate a motivational speaker series. Quality and curation matters.
6. Launch a team challenge. Remember the four pillars of total well-being: physical, mental, emotional and social health, and develop a unique theme for each month. Create a shared goal and invite your team to track their progress. Some of our favorites are The Power of Sleep, Re-Hydrate and Re-Charge, Mind Your Mindfulness, and Fire Up Your Fitness with a Walking Challenge.
7. Make wellness available on-demand. Flexibility is vital, as people juggle demanding schedules and many teams work across different time zones. Employees should have a myriad of options available at their fingertips with the ability to access wellness and tele-health appointments instantly. Providing a well-rounded mix of classes is essential, because everyone has unique needs and preferences. Key areas to cover can include full-body fitness, food as medicine, stretching, stress reduction and mental well-being, along with workshops on the power of active listening, building confidence and self-esteem, finding purpose, and leading with inclusion.
To learn more about AccessElite and receive personalized ideas for your organization, reach out to email@example.com.